Cause what goes better with grilled cheese than a nice, warm bowl of soup?! Well, nothing, that I can think of… It’s been a little chilly around here lately (snow in DC in April, what?!), so I decided that the perfect thing to pair with an ooey, gooey grilled cheese is a sweet and hot bowl of chocolate soup.
I decided to slightly modify a hot chocolate recipe for this chocolate soup concoction and top it off with a dollop of whipped cream! There can be several possible variations to this soup using different flavorings (orange peel, mint, cinnamon, cayenne) or sweet liqueurs (Chambord, amaretto, Bailey’s, Grand Marnier). Feel free to experiment with different flavors or mix-ins! For now, on to the recipe… 🙂
First, assemble your ingredients.
You are going to need:
- 1/2 cup milk (whole milk will work best)
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 1 oz. bittersweet chocolate (be sure to purchase good quality chocolate!)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (If you have superfine sugar, that will dissolve much easier. Otherwise, regular sugar is fine.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweet liqueur, optional (I used about 1 tablespoon of Chambord for a slight raspberry taste.)
You are also going to need the following tools:
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Small saucepan
- Small serving bowls
- Whipped cream, for topping
Begin by roughly chopping your chocolate.
Add the chocolate to a small saucepan, and set over medium-low heat.
Add the other ingredients to the saucepan.
Heat over until all the chocolate has melted, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
Once all the ingredients have mixed together, continue heating until the soup thickens slightly.
Spoon the soup in to a small bowl (it’s quite sweet, so you only want about 1/2-cup per serving) and top with whipped cream. Serve alongside a dessert grilled cheese. (Or maybe only half of one!) Enjoy!! 😀
Any questions? Feel free to ask in the comments below! 🙂